KIT Präsidium, Karlsruhe

Formed by a merger of the Baden-Württemberg Technische Universität and the national Helmholtz Association research centre, the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (or KIT for short) opened in 2009. The research and teaching activities of its two founding institutions are now closely spatially and academically linked on the new South Campus.

Built in 1881 and planned by Heinrich Lang, the building once housed Karlsruhe University’s “Alte Chemische Technik” department. With the completion of the project in 2014, this old three-storey building, with its red sandstone facade, its energy consumption and technology has been overhauled, bringing it into the modern era. Demolition of an annex restored the old building’s original floor plan and an extension was built in place of the annex. The new building’s ground floor features extensive glazing, while a composite thermal insulation system and floor-to-ceiling windows were installed on the upper storeys. An encircling horizontal glass joint at roof level divides the new and old buildings.

On the new building’s ground floor is a column-free auditorium with seating for 170 people and a small stage in the atrium, which rises up through all three storeys. On the upper floors the atrium is surrounded by three offices. At the top is a roof terrace, from which the Senatssaal and a cafeteria with a lounge can be accessed. The surrounding windows and skylights let plenty of daylight into the rooms, which can also be shaded with blinds. The building is equipped with a JUNG KNX system for controlling room functions such as lighting and shading. Inside the building is plain white, with white doors, tables, walls and ceilings. The JUNG electronic installation, in the classic design of the LS 990 switch range in white, fits in with this ambience, contributing to the interior’s harmonious overall look.
Pictures: Daniel Vieser

Used Designs and technologies