The Mies van der Rohe Business Park, Krefeld

Bauhaus meets Business

Open-plan offices flooded with light and large warehouse spaces – that’s what the Business Park looks like today, and it provides an attractive work environment. The building was erected in 1931 by Mies van der Rohe, before he emigrated to the USA, and was used as the business premises of the Vereinigte Seidenwebereien AG (the United Silk Weaving Mills Company). Shortly after it was finished, the building was badly damaged in the Second World War. Only in the 1970s was it used as an office building again, but Mies van der Rohe’s open-plan office system was no longer recognisable.

In 1999 it was put under protection as a historic building. In the subsequent reconstruction, the architect, Karl-Heinrich Eick, and the raumkontor interior designers were once more able to re-create the style of Mies van der Rohe. A special architectural feature is the brickwork-surrounded interior staircase, which is kept almost in its original form.

The Business Park is equipped with the classic JUNG LS 990 switch design in white and in Les Couleurs® Le Corbusier colours. In the 4320R ombre naturelle 59 shade, a deep, dark natural umber, it fits in with the interior design and sets a purist tone. 
Pictures: Henrik Schipper

Used Designs and technologies